I write picture books that stimulate laughter and learning. My stories aim to entertain children and the adults who read with them. I’m especially excited about these projects:
When a mysterious intruder vandalizes the clubhouse of Wilma’s Arachnid Club, Wilma seeks inspiration from spiders and designs a solution to catch the culprit before her hopes of making two-legged friends are squashed.
- Themes: authenticity, STEM, biomimicry, curiosity, problem-solving
WHAT TO DO ABOUT OLIVIA
When trying to get even with her bully, Madelyn turns into someone she doesn’t recognize. Once Madelyn discovers she can’t change Olivia, she focuses on the one person she can do something about.
- Themes: Emotional regulation, dealing with conflict, bullying
RUBY’S RED HAIR MYSTERY
Ruby wants to know why she’s the only red-haired cow in her herd, but her constant questions drive her farm friends crazy. Learning how to hunt down answers herself helps Ruby solve her coloured coat mystery and restore harmony at home.
- Themes: Curiosity, scientific investigation, genetics, STEM (probability/likelihood)
STEP INTO FALL
Birthday wish not coming true? A ‘falling leaf wish’ might be luckier for you! Fun and frolic await outside your front door. Come, STEP INTO FALL.
- Themes: Accessible outdoor activity, autumn, family time
JAKE JONES’ *FREE* READING ADVENTURE
Jake Jones’ reading tips bring adventure, freedom and even cake to a frustrated child reader who ends up out-reading, and out-adventuring, Jake himself.
- Great for: reluctant and emerging readers
THE BEST BEACH DAY. EVER.
Emma’s long-awaited beach day with her hardworking mom will be her last unless Emma relaxes their action-packed schedule and leans into the joy of a day off together.
- Great for: Mother’s day, summer vacation, families with a working or single parent
Pete’s dream of becoming a buccaneer turns to shark bait when his dad enrolls him in school. When his math moves help the crew become successful, instead of swindled, seadogs, Pete maps out a new plan that won’t throw his dreams overboard.
- Themes: STEM (math), following your dreams, father-son relationship
BRINGING HOME BUSTER
A nuisance brother. A crazy kitten. Garth ditches his co-pilots to fly solo, but discovers it’s lonely being a cranky captain. When Garth adapts a mission to include his diverse crew, a cosmic adventure unfolds.
- Themes: new siblings and pets, compromise, outer space
- Longlisted in the 2019 CANSCAIP Writing for Children Competition
Despite being grade A gorgeous, Broccoli is overlooked for other vegetables in the grocery store. When he begins to droop, Broccoli sprouts a plan to make himself irresistible to children before becoming compost.
- Great for a laugh-out-loud reading experience
BOTTOM SHELF BLUES
Night Night Numbers is Jacob’s favorite book–until Jacob discovers superhero stories. Night Night must draft a plan to save his spine before being boxed away forever.
- Themes: early literacy, new siblings, feeling forgotten about, dealing with change
Move the rug! Hurl the pillows! Sit the cat! One cover-up leads to another as Ellie attempts to hide her ‘redecorated’ bedroom wall from her meticulous mother.
- Themes: creativity, freedom of expression, parent-child relationship
A lyrical journey through a child’s dance of life, from an infant’s drumming heartbeat, a child untangling their own feet and an adult meeting a partner that doesn’t step on their toes.
- Great for: Milestone events (e.g. graduation, moving out), young dancers